We hear it all the time…”Live in the moment.” What does that look like, how do you really do it? Well here’s a 5 minute exercise you can do to bring you into your present moment. It also has some other pretty cool benefits.
So here we go:
- Take in environment with all your senses – what does it look like, smell like, feel like, sound like?
- Close your eyes, put your hands on your belly and listen to your breath – How do you feel? You may have a variety of emotions, even conflicting ones
- With the positive ones – take a moment to express gratitude
- With the uncomfortable ones – sit with them, acknowledge them, honor reason for them (if you know them)
- If you don’t know the underlying reason for your uncomfortable feelings take some time, either now or set time for later to honor this uncomfortableness, exploring the deeper reason why you carry it
- Record this summary of feelings, it can be as simple as writing “nervous, happy, fearful” or you can take a few minutes to journal more detail
- Do this exercise at least once a day for a week
- It’ll get easier and quicker to tap into present feelings and moments the more you “practice”
- And the more you do it, the more it slides into a way of showing up in your life regularly
- You’ll start to see the tapes running in your head, and once you see them, you can make changes to them