What do you do when you wake up in the morning? Do you lay in bed scrolling through your phone? Maybe coffee is the first thing on the agenda (I can relate!). Or perhaps you feel so overwhelmed with the To Do list looming you figure the best strategy is to conquer that first, then you can think about everything else.
These are ALL ways I’ve kicked off my mornings. Many of them. But when I woke up this morning it dawned on me that I’ve got a morning ritual that has become a habit. And for once, it’s a habit I don’t want to shake. Here’s how it goes:
- I take a moment to check in with the world around me, the greater universe (God, whatever it is for you) and ask what is in store? Where and what should I be doing?
- Next I check in with my heart and soul, asking what will fulfill me today?
- I get grounded in these things. You know, that feeling that you’re proverbial feet are firmly planted in the path in front you.
- I ask to draw in the people and situations that are in my highest and where I am in the highest good of others.
- Implement whatever practice I’ve been working on. Huh? Well, I’m in a virtually constant state of growth and discovery and typically have something I’m working on in myself so I check in with whatever that is at the moment. For example, right now I’m being consciously thankful for the things that come into my life with ease and effortlessly (more on that tomorrow!)
- Now and only now do I look at or write my ‘To Do’ list for the day.
I may not get all the answers in this 5 minute practice. I may not even keep it top of mind throughout the day. But here’s the pretty awesome thing…when I take a few minutes at the end of the day to reflect I can see how the day has unfolded in accordance with the intentions I set, the things I asked for.
Do yourself a favor and do this tomorrow morning. Then at the end of the day check in with yourself. Did it make a difference?